I had big plans last year to write about my homeschool journey. Those plans were derailed by job changes, busy school schedules, and just life in general. Transitioning to my husband working from home – which started in my schoolroom until we turned half the garage into his own office – was quite the transition. For everyone.
But, January is the month for new beginnings. So I’m starting again. I’m starting with the letter “A”. “A” is for “Available”.
One things I really love about homeschooling is how “Available” I am to my kids and my kids are to me.
1. Available to experience their first reading success – it’s just as good as their first steps when they were toddlers.
2. Available to talk about what they think of history – you’d be surprised with what my 7yr old can come up with
3. Available to watch as they discover something fascinating in science – and often make a mess in the process
4. Unfortunately, I’m also available to clean up the mess from science
5. Available to see them create their own art – the creation process is way more interesting to me than the final product at their age
6. Available to just sit down and talk, or let them play for a few minutes break if we’re having a bad day
7. Available to see them use the math they’ve been learning – it all started with counting out eggs from the fridge drawer
8. Available to teach them fun things like cooking – and why we do not set raw eggs on the edge of the counter so they can roll off and splat on the floor
9. Available to take them to a museum for a hands-on learning day
10. Available to watch an older child teach a younger child – there are so many things (like counting by 2’s) that I’m not going to have to teach my 2nd born because the first child taught her for me
If you homeschool. What’s something you love about teaching your kids?